Saturday, August 28, 2010

Luke is One Month Old Today!

I can hardly believe it's been a month.  In some ways the time has just flown by, in other ways it feels like he has been with us forever.  We have figured out a few things over the past few weeks.

1.  Breastfeeding just wasn't for us.  We tried the first two weeks and ended up just frustrated.  I could not see a light at the end of the tunnel and I could not figure out how I was going to do it once I returned to work.  I felt horrible guilt about it but finally decided that it was better for our entire family to keep our stress level down.

2.  Luke can be a cranky baby!  For a while, during his waking hours, he was constantly fussy.  I finally got to the point where his cries do not send my anxiety level through the roof.

3.  I am not going to be able to fix everything for him.  Sometimes he will just have to cry.

4.  The swing is our friend! (this week)  He will sit in the swing and look around for the longest time.

5.  Routines never work the same way twice.  This has been hard for me.  I think I have it all figured out and then what worked beautifully one day, doesn't work the same way the next.  For example, the bedtime routine.  For a few days it seemed to work great.  Then the next day it took 3 hours to get him to sleep!  I am learning some valuable lessons in patience and going with the flow.

6.  Raising a baby without a wonderful husband by my side seems almost impossible to me.  I know there are some great single Moms and Dads out there and my hat is off to them!  I am so glad Tim is by my side daily to offer help and support and encouragement.

We also went for our very first portrait session this last week.  It was a very long session to go through with a baby - over three hours!  It was worth it though in the end.  We got some wonderful pictures.


We are headed to West (near Waco) over Labor Day weekend to be at the triplets first birthday party.  After the party we will continue on to Austin to visit some of Tim's family.  It will be Luke's first trip.  He normally does well in the car.  Praying that the trip goes well for him and for us!  We are looking forward to seeing our family in Austin and introducing them to the newest Payne :)

No comments: